- When your chimney is missing flashing, weather its step flashing or counter flashing.
- when your flashing is falling apart, not attached to the chimney properly, mortar joint is deteriorating.
- When the flashing itself is rusted through
- When its completely covered with tar (temporary short term fix)
Homeowners wanting to do this as a DIY project can visit link below and follow the instruction. Keep in mind that this is an advanced project, and is extremely dangerous working on the roof without proper fall protection gears.
Have the necessary tools for this DIY project lined up before you start—you’ll save time and frustration.
- Extension ladder
- Angle Grinder
- Roof harness, ropes and rope grab
- Straight cutting tin snips
- Diamond blade (dry-cutting), roof brackets
Avoid last-minute shopping trips by having all your materials ready ahead of time. Here’s a list.
- Galvanized step flashing
- Galvanized coil stock
- 26-gauge galvanized sheet steel (for prefabricated pieces)
- Galvanized front base flashing
- Polyurethane caulk
- Drive-in expanding anchors